Football Federation Australia on Monday confirmed that star athlete Aaron Mooy has been ruled out of the upcoming 2019 AFC Asian Cup in the UAE. As per the Socceroos website, midfielder James Jeggo will replace Huddersfield Town midfielder for the tournament.
Caltex Socceroos Head Coach Graham Arnold said:
“James has been performing really well in Austria and is a fantastic
character, so we are very happy to have him join the squad. Initially,
James was very unlucky to miss out on the squad, but sometimes
these things happen in football and we are glad we can provide him
with this opportunity. James has thrived at club level playing in
a defensive midfield role and with three attacking central
midfielders already in the squad, we felt we needed someone
with James’ attributes to provide some depth in that area.”
Mooy, who suffered a torn ligament in his right knee during Huddersfield’s 1-0 loss to Arsenal on December 8, was named in the 23-man squad on December 20.
However, the 29-year-old was considered unfit following consultation with the Premier League side’s medical staff, an independent specialist, and FFA’s High Performance Coordinator – Senior Physiotherapist, Phil Coles, over the weekend, said FFA.
“It is disappointing to lose Aaron for the tournament, however it
was important that we left no stone unturned in exploring every
option to get Aaron on the pitch for Australia in the UAE.
We will remain in close contact with Aaron and Huddersfield
Town during his rehabilitation and trust that he will make a
successful return to action.”
Austrian born Jeggo debuted for the Australian national side in last month's friendly against Lebanon in Sydney. He is currently playing with Austrian Bundesliga side Austria Wien.
Australia will take on Jordan in the Group B opening game on January 6 Al Ain.